Celtic and English saints july 17
h***@wondering.com
2009-07-17 18:18:16 UTC
Celtic and Old English Saints 17 July

* St. Cynllo of Wales
* St. Kenelm of Mercia
* St. Turninus of Antwerp

St. Turninus of Antwerp
-------------------------------
8th century. Saint Turninus, an Irish monk and priest, worked as a
missionary in the Netherlands with Saint Foillan, especially in the area
around Antwerp, where he died. His relics were translated to Liege,
where they are enshrined in a monastery on the Sambre (Benedictines,
Husenbeth).
bob young
2009-07-18 03:17:06 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
Celtic and Old English Saints 17 July
* St. Cynllo of Wales
* St. Kenelm of Mercia
* St. Turninus of Antwerp
St. Turninus of Antwerp
-------------------------------
8th century. Saint Turninus, an Irish monk and priest, worked as a
missionary in the Netherlands with Saint Foillan, especially in the area
around Antwerp, where he died. His relics were translated to Liege,
where they are enshrined in a monastery on the Sambre (Benedictines,
Husenbeth).
Did we create so many saints back then because we wanted to, or was it
because we were afraid and in our simplicity we thought that by so doing we
would please God, who, in turn would then do good things for us ?

The habit of producing saints has died out quite a lot since those simple
days

I see The Pope slipped in this bath yesterday and badly damaged his wrist.

H.F. when was the last saint declared in modern times ? I have no idea

h***@wondering.com
2009-07-18 18:18:12 UTC
"Did we create so many saints back then because we wanted to, or was it
because we were afraid and in our simplicity we thought that by so doing
we would please God, who, in turn would then do good things for us ?"

Neither.

"The habit of producing saints has died out quite a lot since those
simple days"

Do you mean by nose count?

"I see The Pope slipped in this bath yesterday and badly damaged his
wrist."

And this has what to do with the topic or me?

"H.F. when was the last saint declared in modern times ? I have no idea"

I know of the most recent only in this country and that was maybe 4
years ago.
bob young
2009-07-19 03:33:02 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
"Did we create so many saints back then because we wanted to, or was it
because we were afraid and in our simplicity we thought that by so doing
we would please God, who, in turn would then do good things for us ?"
Neither.
I will believe i am right until someone shows otherwise,
which you failed to do
Post by h***@wondering.com
"The habit of producing saints has died out quite a lot since those
simple days"
Do you mean by nose count?
Count whatever you like, and try answer the question
Post by h***@wondering.com
"I see The Pope slipped in this bath yesterday and badly damaged his
wrist."
And this has what to do with the topic or me?
Easy - you God was not protecting his most senior officer and He ain't
protecting you either
Does it have a name ?
h***@wondering.com
2009-07-20 17:40:02 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
"The habit of producing saints has died out quite a lot since those
simple days"
Do you mean by nose count?
"Count whatever you like, and try answer the question"

If it had been more specific, then one could provide which answer you
seemed to have in mind. By count would be one measure of the level of
naming saints.
Post by h***@wondering.com
"I see The Pope slipped in this bath yesterday and badly damaged his
wrist."
And this has what to do with the topic or me?
"Easy - you God was not protecting his most senior officer and He ain't
protecting you either"

"Senior officer", I think not. Nowhere are we taught that we will as
christians not suffer all the normal problems of life.

By definition yes, one names a saint by identifying them.
bob young
2009-07-23 10:17:02 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
"I see The Pope slipped in this bath yesterday and badly damaged his
wrist."
And this has what to do with the topic or me?
"Easy - you God was not protecting his most senior officer and He ain't
protecting you either"
"Senior officer", I think not. Nowhere are we taught that we will as
christians not suffer all the normal problems of life.
Of course not because it would be bloody stupid to do so
and it would not stand inspection for more than two blinks of the eye
Post by h***@wondering.com
I know of the most recent only in this country and that was maybe 4
years ago.
"Does it have a name ?"
By definition yes, one names a saint by identifying them.
Aaaah but it slipped your mind. no problem, stick to the early ones,
there are far more of 'em and their antics are just about as impossible to
prove in many cases, as are the claimed antics of JC.

Oldness - one of Christianitie's favourite and highly necessary concepts.

This is why the scritures were written at least two hundred years after,
so in those days they coul'd not be challenged.

Neat innit ?
h***@wondering.com
2009-07-23 16:59:02 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
I know of the most recent only in this country and that was maybe 4
years ago.
"Does it have a name ?"
By definition yes, one names a saint by identifying them.
"Aaaah but it slipped your mind. "

No, it wasn't asked of me. It is Saint Raphael.

"No problem, stick to the early ones, there are far more of 'em and
their antics are just about as impossible to prove in many cases, as are
the claimed antics of JC."

"More", of course as it is a definition of math. Having been in the
process of identifying them for 2000 yeears, there are by definition
many more from previous times then a count of the most recent ones.

"Proof", sure, have a go at it regarding your theology. Faith, sure,
the basis of both of our theologies.

"Oldness - one of Christianitie's favourite and highly necessary
concepts."

I don't understand, I try to live my faith each day without regard to
any timeline.

"This is why the scritures were written at least two hundred years
after, so in those days they coul'd not be challenged."

So you have asserted previously, and we might remind again that you are
out on a limb on this as any serious scholar of the subject, regardless
of believing or not, do not support your story line.

"Neat innit ?"

Yup, neat indeed.
bob young
2009-07-24 09:19:02 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
Post by h***@wondering.com
I know of the most recent only in this country and that was maybe 4
years ago.
"Does it have a name ?"
By definition yes, one names a saint by identifying them.
"Aaaah but it slipped your mind. "
No, it wasn't asked of me. It is Saint Raphael.
"No problem, stick to the early ones, there are far more of 'em and
their antics are just about as impossible to prove in many cases, as are
the claimed antics of JC."
"More", of course as it is a definition of math. Having been in the
process of identifying them for 2000 yeears, there are by definition
many more from previous times then a count of the most recent ones.
Off topic and meaningless in the present context. IOW a cop out.
Post by h***@wondering.com
"Proof", sure, have a go at it regarding your theology. Faith, sure,
the basis of both of our theologies.
"Oldness - one of Christianitie's favourite and highly necessary
concepts."
I don't understand, I try to live my faith each day without regard to
any timeline.
You are well programmed then
Post by h***@wondering.com
"This is why the scritures were written at least two hundred years
after, so in those days they coul'd not be challenged."
So you have asserted previously, and we might remind again that you are
out on a limb on this as any serious scholar of the subject, regardless
of believing or not, do not support your story line.
Obviously you are not right,
had you been the facts would have been trotted out
instead of innuendo
Post by h***@wondering.com
"Neat innit ?"
Yup, neat indeed.
h***@wondering.com
2009-07-24 16:38:55 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
of believing or not, do not support your story line.
"Obviously you are not right, had you been the facts would have been
trotted out instead of innuendo"

He who is out on the limb bears the burden of supporting his position.
Had you more then opinion on the topic I would not have to mention the
well known about this scholarship.
Thommadura
2009-07-25 14:51:32 UTC
Post by h***@wondering.com
of believing or not, do not support your story line.
"Obviously you are not right, had you been the facts would have been
trotted out instead of innuendo"
And interesting statement from a person who NEVER support his statements
with anything proven to be a fact.

Maybe you should READ what you write - before you post it

No gods are proven to exist - that is a fact.
No gods are proven to have made anything - that is a fact
No gods are proven to have said anything - that is a fact

And - if scripture is supposed to be the inerrant inspired word of a god
- then it already has been falsified. One only need to point to ONE
error in the bible to establish it as fraud - and there are dozens of them